FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Happy Belated Fathers Day!

I’m still trying to get the hang of blogging and I’m a little behind, but better late than never right? It was Seth’s first Fathers Day (we figured it was okay to celebrate even though little Champ won’t be arriving until Oct.) Nonetheless, Seth took full advantage of the day and actually began celebrating a day early by playing golf all day with his friends. On the actual day, I let Seth sleep-in and brought him breakfast in bed. I made a full-on breakfast including banana pancakes. You’re probably thinking what I was at first, banana pancakes, gross! However, they were great! I’ve included the recipe below (from Cooking Light, my FAV). I also added a few things to the recipe: flax seed, cinnamon, and walnuts. I also mashed the bananas in the blender, where I mixed the whole concoction (very convenient for mixing and pouring batter). After breakfast I gave Seth a break and taught the Sunday school lesson for our class of 13 year olds. Then, later that night we had dinner and played games with some friends. All in all, I would say that Seth had a very good first Father’s Day!

We love you, Seth!

Tia and Champ

I also wanted to mention how very much I appreciate and love my father, and the many other individuals who have significantly influenced my life as well as Seth’s. Life is full of numerous tricks and turns, but luckily we’ve both had great guides and examples that have made every step a joy (mushy, I know, but I had to say it).

Margaret Truman on Fathers:

It's only when you grow up, and step back from him, or leave him for your own career and your own home – it's only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it. Pride reinforces love.

5 Spot Banana Pancakes

Notes: If desired, sprinkle about 1 teaspoon chopped pecans on each pancake after adding banana slices. Serve pancakes with butter and warm maple syrup or a dusting of cinnamon-sugar.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
About 3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
2 ripe bananas (3/4 to 1 lb. total), peeled and thinly sliced
1. In a bowl, mix all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.

2. In another bowl, whisk to blend eggs, buttermilk, and 3 tablespoons butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until batter is evenly moistened.

3. Ladle batter, 1/4 cup at a time, onto a lightly buttered medium-hot (350°) griddle or lightly buttered 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan (or use 2 pans at the same time) over medium heat. Scatter 3 to 5 banana slices onto each pancake and cook until edges of the cake look dry, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn with a wide spatula and cook until browned on the bottom, 3 or 4 minutes longer.

4. Serve pancakes immediately, or place in a single layer on baking sheets and keep warm in a 200° regular or convection oven until all are cooked.

Yield: Makes 12 pancakes; 4 to 6 servingsCALORIES 209 (33% from fat); FAT 7.6g (sat 4.3g); PROTEIN 6.1g; CHOLESTEROL 53mg; SODIUM 488mg; FIBER 2g; CARBOHYDRATE 30g

No comments: